Attorney Kim R Bonuomo (Retired) practiced law for more than 25 years, having spent 20 of those years exclusively in family law, divorce, and child support.
Ms. Bonuomo strived to facilitate respectful and equitable resolutions of complex financial, family, and emotional issues on behalf of her clients. Her primary goal was to assist her clients in moving through a difficult situation to a better place. When litigation was the only alternative, Ms. Bonuomo demonstrated her prowess as a strong, determined, and passionate advocate for her clients.
Particular areas of emphasis in her practice included:
- Complex asset valuation and distribution
- Business valuations
- Custody and parental rights
- Financial support
- Premarital agreements
- Settlement negotiations
- NC child support
Prior to joining Allman Spry, Kim R Bonuomo was a partner in the Minnesota law firm of Moss & Barnett. She was certified by the North Carolina State Bar as a specialist in the area of Family Law and was a fellow of the North Carolina Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Ms. Bonuomo had extensive experience in alternative dispute resolution processes, both on behalf of her clients and as an impartial mediator. A decorated military veteran, she began her legal career as an officer in the Judge Advocate General’s Corp, U.S. Army. A frequent and sought-after presenter on family law issues for North Carolina CLEs, she had long served as a mentor for new attorneys and students interested in the practice of law.
In 2019, Ms. Bonuomo became a diplomat of the American College of Family Trial Lawyers, a select group of 100 of the top family law trial lawyers from across the United States. She was also named to the 2022 list of North Carolina Super Lawyers in the practice area of family law, and recognized by Best Lawyers® since 2018.
- Family Law
- Civil Litigation
Certifications and Specialties
- Board Certified Family Law Specialist, North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina, 1988
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. Army Court of Criminal Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- Minnesota, 2009
- Pennsylvania, 2014
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia, 1988, J.D.
- University of Richmond, 1983 B.A.
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude
Classes and Seminars Taught
- Parenting Children of Divorce, Family Life Council, Greensboro, NC — 2004 – 2008
- Managing a Child Support Case, Basics of Family Law, North Carolina Bar Association — 2002, 2004, 2008
- Child Support Motions, North Carolina Family Law Special Seminar — 2007
- Post Separation Support and Alimony, Wake Forest Family Law Litigation CLE — 1998
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, 2006, 2008 – 2009, 2013, 2020 – 2022
- Best Lawyers®, 2018 – 2021
- Ritter Award of Honesty, Integrity and Character, University of Virginia, 1987
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Numerous Military Decorations
- Minnesota Super Lawyer, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships for Kim R Bonuomo
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Diplomat, American College of Family Trial Lawyers
- Past Chair and Officer, Family Law Council
- North Carolina State Bar Association Chair, CLE Committee, Family Law Council
- Chair, Domestic Violence Ad Hoc Committee, Family Law Council