Attorney Don VonCannon practices primarily in real estate law. He has been board certified as a specialist since 1988 by the North Carolina State Bar in Real Property Law—Residential, Business, Commercial and Industrial Transactions. He has extensive experience in all phases of the acquisition and development of commercial property, including contract negotiation, financing, examination of title to property, closing the purchase and working through the development of property, including drafting covenants, conditions and restrictions on the uses of property.
Don has also handled numerous complex commercial property transactions, hotel acquisitions, tax free exchanges, including reverse tax free exchanges and development agreements involving commercial property, real estate workout agreements and foreclosures. In addition to his full-time law practice, Don has served as an adjunct professor of law at Wake Forest University Law School, teaching a class on Real Estate Finance. He has been awarded the prestigious AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 rating from Martindale-Hubbell® and has been selected by the Business North Carolina magazine as one of the “Legal Elite” in the area of real estate law. Don is also listed in North Carolina Super Lawyers.
Don jogs 15 to 20 miles a week, enjoys boating and waterskiing and likes to read history, biographies and an occasional mystery or spy novel. He was honorably discharged as a Captain in the United States Marine Corps.
Year Joined Organization: 1973
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Acquisition and Development of Residential and Commercial Property
- Commercial Closings
- Leases and Tax Free Exchanges
- North Carolina State Bar Legal Specialization – Real Property Law – Residential, Business, Commercial & Industrial Transactions
- North Carolina, 1971
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, J.D., 1971
- Wake Forest University, B.A., 1967
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
- “Legal Elite,” Business North Carolina magazine, 2004 – 2006
- North Carolina “Super Lawyers” magazine (Thomson-Reuters publication)