From 2007 to 2011, Bernie Desrosiers served as an assistant district attorney in the Forsyth County District Attorney’s Office, where he represented the State of North Carolina prosecuting numerous offenses, including Felony Breaking and Entering, Armed Robbery, Kidnapping, Felony Death by Motor Vehicle, Felony Murder, Driving While Impaired, (DWI) and Domestic Assaults. During his tenure at the Forsyth County District Attorney’s office, Bernie also served as the designated White Collar Crime prosecutor and was tasked with the responsibility of supervising and training the District Court Assistant District Attorneys.
After leaving the District Attorney’s Office in 2011, Bernie practiced criminal defense at the Winston-Salem law firm of Grace Tisdale & Clifton, where he successfully handled federal firearm and drug conspiracy offenses and litigated cases involving gaming and sweepstakes law violations.
Bernie now heads the criminal law section at Allman Spry, where he draws on his experience as a former prosecutor to help represent his clients charged with all manner of criminal offenses. Bernie has experience in both state and federal courts, having tried over 40 criminal jury trials. He also has assisted clients with criminal and civil appeals to the North Carolina Court of Appeals, the North Carolina Supreme Court, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court. Bernie uses his extensive trial experience and familiarity with prosecutors, judges, and law enforcement officers to vigorously defend his clients’ rights.
Areas of Practice
- Federal and State Criminal Law
- Driving While Impaired (DWI) and traffic offenses.
- Embezzlement, larceny, and forgery charges
- White Collar Crime and Corporate fraud
- Firearm and drug/narcotic offenses
- Homicides, sexual assault and other violent crimes.
- Gaming and Sweepstakes litigation
- State and Federal Criminal Appeals
- Post-Conviction Matters, Expungements, and Motions for Appropriate Relief
- Victim and Witness Representation
- University Honor Code Violations
- North Carolina, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Campbell University School of Law, Buies Creek, North Carolina, J.D., 2007
- Campbell University, Lundy-Fetterman School of Business, Buies Creek, North Carolina, M.T.I.M., 2004
- Campbell University, B.A., Cum Laude, 2003
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section Council Member and Vice-Chair (2016)
- North Carolina Bar Association (Young Lawyers Division)
- Federal Bar Association, Middle District of North Carolina Chapter
- Chief Justice Joseph Branch Inn of Court
- Forsyth County Bar Association
- National Trial Lawyers Association
- American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Honors and Awards
- National Trial Lawyers Association, “Top 40 Under 40,” 2012, 2013
- American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys, “Top 10 Under 40,” 2015